There’s nothing quite like the soft glow of a candle in the fall and winter months. Candles create warmth and coziness in any space and I almost always have one burning. As much as I love yummy smelling candles I know that some store bought candles are often filled with toxins that are released into the air when burned. I’m always looking for ways to create a safer home for my family with less chemicals. Beeswax is a safe and healthy to burn and isn’t filled with toxins. Plus it has a lovely natural smell. I’ve been buying beeswax candles for a little while now and while it’s easy and convenient to buy them already made, it can get costly especially for someone like me who loves burning candles often. So I decided why not try to make my own? I’m always looking to learn new skills and figured it was worth a shot.
I found this “How To” through Pinterest, it was simple and easy to follow! You can most certainly add essential oils to these candles. I opted to leave them out simply because I really enjoy the natural scent of the beeswax. However, I do think I’m going to make some peppermint ones for Christmas gifts! If you do use essential oils and plan on burning these candles around small children I suggest choosing kid safe oils. And of course never leave candles unattended both while burning and DIYing!!
These are the supplies you’ll need:
4 oz. Glass Jelly Jars – I purchased mine locally, but these are the ones I used.
A Hot Glue Gun – to adhere your wicks or you can simple dip the metal base where the wick attaches into the melted wax and stick on to the bottom of the jar.
Wood Sticks – for stirring as well as keeping my wicks in place.
A Pyrex bowl or measuring cup and an old shallow pot
I used a measuring cup that I’ve been using specifically for homemade projects using wax and oils. I placed the measuring cup in a shallow pot with about an inch of water to create a double boiler. I poured my beeswax into the measuring cup and brought my water to a rolling simmer. Then you just wait for it to melt. Keep an eye on it I had to add more water several times. Once it’s completely melted just pour into your container. Be sure to keep your wick as straight as you can. If you’re doing larger batches I recommend larger containers. But, for my two small candles this process worked just fine. Once your wax is poured let it cool at room temperature on a flat surface. If you expose the wax to a drastic temperature change it will crack. Allow it to cure for at least two days before lighting. And last but not least, ENJOY! Easy Peasy, right!!?
I’d love to know if you decide to make some candles for yourself, be sure to take me on IG @thehomemakingmomma if you do!
[ this post containts affiliate links, thank you for your support of this blog ]