As promised today I’m sharing my recipe for Pasta E Fagioli soup. This soup is packed with lots of yummy flavor and good for you foods! My husband and I absolutely love this soup and I love making a nice big pot of it over the weekend and then having some for leftovers. It’s definitely a feel good soup, perfect for our cold winters here in Pa. This recipe makes quite a bit so be prepared to have leftovers for a couple days. You could also freeze some or invite a bunch of family and friends over!
Here is what you will need.
- 1 Large pot or Dutch Oven
- Several tablespoons of organic extra virgin olive oil. I normally use about 2
- 2-3 gloves of garlic chopped or minced.
- 2 tablespoons of italian seasoning
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 can of organic white beans – drained and rinsed
- 1 can of light red organic kidney beans (I don’t really like kidney beans so I like to add two cans of the white beans) drained and rinsed.
- 4 cups of organic vegetable broth (you can use chicken broth as well)
- 4 cups of water
- I like to add some organic grass fed ground beef 93% lean to my soup but if you want to keep this vegetarian you can leave the meat out and maybe add in a can of chick peas instead.
- 1 small can of organic tomato paste.
- 1 small onion, 2 carrots chopped, and 2 celery stalks chopped (organic produce preferred)
- 1/4lb – 1/2lb whole grain pasta, Ditalini or elbow works great. I used shells for this one and really prefer the elbow and Ditalini but didn’t have any on hand.
- *Personal opinion I used more pasta this time about 1/2 lb and really prefer it with less*
- grated parmesan cheese
Brown your meat in your pan. I use my dutch oven so I add my oil to the pan beforehand.
Once your meat is browned add in your garlic and onions, followed by your carrots, celery, and seasoning.
Add in your tomato paste and incorporate well into you pan then slowly add your liquids and then your beans. If your adding pasta you may need more liquid you can add in another cup of broth and another cup of water if needed. Depends how thick or thin you prefer you soup. I like mine more stew like, haha.
Simmer until beans are warm.
I like to cook my pasta separate then add it in at the end. Mix well and serve hot with freshly grated parm cheese!
Remember that homemade bread recipe I shared the other week. You can find it here. It would go lovely with this soup! I’d love to know if you try this recipe and what you think. feel free to leave me some comments. You can also find me on Pinterest here and IG here!
Enjoy Friends and Blessings!